Caring for your teeth is essential to having a healthy and bright smile. With dental exams, your dental team at Acorn Dental can help you maintain your smile and prevent any oral health problems from arising. Dental exams are an essential part of regular preventive care. However, many people dread visiting the dentist. Are you ready to start or continue your oral health journey? At Acorn Dental in Marlton, New Jersey, we provide quality care with all our treatments, including dental exams!
Contact us today to schedule a dental exam with our dental team!
What Are Dental Exams?
Dental exams are comprehensive assessments of your oral health conducted by Dr. Woodfork. These exams evaluate your teeth, gums, mouth, and oral health. The exam includes a thorough cleaning of your teeth and gums and a check-up of any existing dental work, such as fillings, crowns, and implants. During the exam, Dr. Woodfork will also look for potential problems such as tooth decay, gum disease, or oral cancer. If any issues arise, we can help you through various treatments such as:
- Dental Fillings: Dental fillings are a standard treatment to restore teeth damaged by decay back to their normal function and shape. Dr. Woodfork will remove the decayed tooth material, clean the area, and then fill the cleaned-out cavity with a specialized material.
- Dental Implants: Dental implants are surgical fixtures placed in the jawbone, which, over time, fuse with the bone in a process called osseointegration. They serve as a replacement for the root of a missing tooth and provide a strong foundation for fixed (permanent) or removable replacement teeth.
- Dental Bridges: A dental bridge is a fixed prosthetic device used to replace one or more missing teeth by joining an artificial tooth definitively to adjacent teeth or dental implants.
- Dentures: Dentures are removable replacements for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They can be either complete (when all teeth are missing) or partial (when some natural teeth remain).
- Tooth Extractions: Tooth extraction is a procedure where a tooth that’s causing pain, infection, or other oral health complications is removed from its socket in the bone. Tooth extractions are often the last resort after all other treatment options are no longer an option.
What Does a Dental Exam Involve?
Dr. Woodfork will first evaluate your oral health by conducting a visual examination of your teeth, gums, and mouth. If there are any potential issues, such as gum disease or cavities, he may want to take x-rays to have a more detailed look. Dr. Woodfork will also clean and polish your teeth using special tools. Finally, he will make recommendations on how to maintain or improve your oral health and discuss any potential treatment plans.
Are Dental Exams Important?
Dental exams are crucial for maintaining great oral health. This visit will allow your dentist to identify any issues and take preventive measures before they become more significant health problems. Regular dental exams can also help detect oral cancer early when it is most treatable. Now, when it comes to preventative measures, dental exams and cleanings are already on the top of the list. However, we do have other treatments that can help maintain your beautiful smile!
- Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride treatments strengthen tooth enamel, significantly reducing the likelihood of cavities. These treatments are typically administered during routine dental visits and are instrumental in maintaining good oral hygiene from early childhood through adulthood.
- Dental Sealants: Dental sealants, typically applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth, act as a protective shield against decay-causing bacteria. They are especially beneficial for children and teenagers, as they prevent cavities from forming in the grooves and depressions of molars and premolars.
When Should You Schedule a Dental Exam?
We strongly recommend you visit your dentist at least twice a year for a dental exam and cleaning. If you have a history of dental problems or are at an increased risk of developing dental issues, such as smokers or those with diabetes, you may want to schedule exams more frequently.
How Dental Exams Can Be Beneficial to You
1. Detect issues before they escalate
Dental exams help detect oral issues such as tooth decay, gum disease, and cavities in their early stages. This allows your dentist to take preventative measures, saving you from a daunting and painful tooth extraction. Furthermore, early detection can also save you from costly dental treatments and prevent other medical issues from affecting your overall health. It is important to note that regular dental exams support better oral health in the long term.
Your dental exam isn’t just a routine check-up to ensure your teeth are clean. It is an opportunity for your dentist to take a customized approach to meet your specific oral care needs. Dr. Woodfork can diagnose any issues and recommend a personalized plan, ensuring you have the best possible oral health outcomes. You can also ask Dr. Woodfork any questions regarding your oral hygiene, nutrition, and habits so you receive tailored advice to keep your smile healthy.
3. Stop problems before they start
Preventing dental issues is more effective than treating them, so your dentist may suggest preventive measures for strong and healthy teeth. Professional dental cleanings remove plaque buildup and help avoid future problems with your teeth and gums. Also, Dr. Woodfork may suggest antioxidants that reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of gum disease, reinforcing your oral health right from the start.
4. Oral cancer screening
Early detection of oral cancer can make the difference between a simple procedure and life-threatening conditions. Your dentist will screen you for oral cancer, helping to ensure you receive fast-track treatment for better outcomes. Dr. Woodfork will examine your mouth, neck, and face to detect signs of pre-cancerous or cancerous conditions. Early detection and treatment can lead to a full recovery, while neglected oral cancer can be a fatal condition.
5. Boost your confidence
A healthy, white smile can make you feel more confident than ever before. Dental exams not only help improve your oral health, but they also give you a boost in self-esteem. Having sparkling teeth that are free from cavities, yellowing, and oral issues can help boost your confidence and, in turn, your work and social interactions. Don’t forget – a bright smile can also make you look younger and more attractive! We also provide cosmetic procedures like teeth whitening that will brighten your smile in multiple shades of white and give you more confidence in showing your smile!
Maintaining Your Smile With Dental Exams in Marlton, NJ
Dental exams are an essential part of oral health care. You can get the quality and comfort care necessary to help maintain and protect your smile by scheduling an appointment with Acorn Dental. So, are you ready to take control of your smile and ensure your teeth stay healthy and strong? Don’t just wait for a problem to arise before making your appointment. A smile is worth keeping, and preventive care is the best way to do it. Remember, prevention is key to ensuring a healthy smile. However, we proudly provide cosmetic and restorative services that, if necessary, can help you protect and maintain your smile for years to come and give you the confidence that comes with a healthy smile.
So, go ahead and schedule an appointment with Dr. Woodfork today! We can’t wait to see you and help you maintain your smile.